top of page

Study in Australia

white wave.png

Visas for international students and eligible graduates, and training visas to enhance skills via workplace-based training.

Image by Green Chameleon
Image by Brooke Cagle
Studenti Studovat Venku

Student visa 

This visa is for international students who are enrolled in a CRICOS registered course in Australia (CRICOS = Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for overseas students). There are different types of courses, which you can study in Australia such as English language course, vocational course, University degree – Bachelor, Master or PhD and others.


From July 2016 there is only one visa subclass for all students - Student visa subclass 500.


Visa applicants must demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily and have funds to pay for the course fees and cost of living in Australia. Some applicants also need to demonstrate their English language proficiency.


The visa validity depends on the duration of the course. Most of the student visas come with work limitation condition, which means that students can work up to 40 hours per fortnight when their course is in session. There are also other conditions imposed on the visa regulating the student visa holders.


Temporary graduate visa subclass 485

This visa is for international student graduates who completed at least 2 academic years of studies in Australia and enables them to work full time during the validity of the visa (18 months – 4 years). There are two different streams of the skilled graduate visa:

Post-study work stream is for graduates from a Bachelor, Masters or PhD course in Australia (in any field) who achieved the required English test score (IELTS 6 overall or equivalent). This stream is only available to those who applied for their first student visa in Australia on or after November 2011. Duration of the visa depends on the qualification obtained – 2 years for Bachelor and Masters by coursework, 3 years for Masters by research and 4 years for PhD graduates.

For those who completed their studies in regional Australia, there is an option of applying for second 485 visa for additional 1-2 years.


Graduate work stream requires that you nominate an occupation from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and obtain a positive skills assessment for the 485 visa. Studies on Cert. III, Cert. IV level (for trade occupations) and higher – Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Bachelor, Graduate Diploma, and Masters degree are acceptable; however, each of the courses must be closely related to the nominated occupation. English level for the visa is same as for the post-study stream but some skills assessment authorities may require a higher score. Once granted, the visa is valid for 18 months.


Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa subclass 476

This visa is for recent engineering graduates from recognised overseas institutions enabling them to work full time in Australia for duration of 18 months. To qualify you must be younger than 31 years and must have completed eligible engineering qualification from one of the recognised Universities in the past 2 years. You will also need to demonstrate your English language ability and achieve score 6 from IELTS test or equivalent. You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Training visa subclass 407

The training visa allows the visa holders to participate in a workplace-based training in Australia. To apply for this visa you must be nominated by your training sponsor.

There are three types of occupational training covered by this visa: training required for registration; structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in your eligible occupation or training that promotes capacity building overseas. 

This is a short-term visa valid for up to 2 years depending on the type of training activity.



Are you interested in studying in Australia?

Do you want to know more about how the student visa works?


Talk to our experienced migration or education agent who can answer all your questions. OnBoard Study & Migration can guide through the whole process including choosing the course and education provider, arranging enrolments and applying for your student visa.


Have you graduated from a recognised institution in the past 2 years?


Talk to our Registered Migration agent who will explain you all the legisative criteria for this visa and help you with the required documents as well as the visa application itself.


Do you want to know more?

We can help you identify the best visa options for you considering your circumstances and intentions.

See you OnBoard!

bottom of page