top of page

Work in Australia

white wave.png

Permanent and temporary visas for skilled professionals, employer-sponsored visa options or visas for overseas workers in regional areas.

Image by Avel Chuklanov
Image by Austin Distel
Pracovní Coffee

Employer Sponsored visas

Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (TSS) SC 482


enables employers to sponsor overseas skilled workers and thus address shortages on the labour market. TSS visa requires nomination by your Australian employer who is a Business Sponsor. The position offered needs to correspond to one of the occupations on the relevant list, depending on the visa stream. The sponsor needs to meet criteria relating to the salary offer, terms and conditions of employment, labour market testing and genuineness of the position. Mandatory contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund is also required.

Medium-term stream

Your occupation must be on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) and the visa can be granted for up to 4 years. You need to have skills to perform the role as prescribed by the ANZSCO (classification of occupations) and at least two years of full-time work experience. If you are from certain country and working in particular trade occupation, the skills assessment is also required. Unless exempt, you will need to demonstrate English proficiency (IELTS 5 in each band, or equivalent).

Short-term stream

If your occupation is on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), the visa will be granted only for 2 years with an option of one onshore extension. The skills requirement is the same as for the medium stream but the English level is slightly lower (IELTS 5 overall or equivalent). 

Labour Agreement Stream

Labour Agreement (LA) is a formal arrangement negotiated between the Australian government and Australian employers under which employers may sponsor workers in other approved occupations. LA will then specify criteria for worker’s skills and English level, duration of the visa and other arrangements.

Employer Nomination Scheme visa SC 186


is a Permanent visa option for skilled workers in occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills list with Nomination by Australian employer via Direct Entry or Temporary Residence transition stream.

Visa applicants must be under 45 years old and have competent English (IELTS 6 or equivalent).


For the Direct Entry Stream, the applicant must obtain a positive skills assessment in the nominated occupation and demonstrate at least 3 years of post-qualification full-time work experience. You do not need to be currently working for the nominating employer; but if you are, there is no prescribed length of employment with them. 


Temporary Residence Transition stream is for those working for their employers on TSS (Medium term stream) / 457 visa for at least 3 years. Transitional arrangements are available to those who held or applied for 457 visa before 18 April 2017. In this case, your employer can nominate you for a permanent visa under the same occupation as the one approved on your 457 visa, and the duration of employment for your sponsor is reduced to 2 years in the last 3 years.

There are several concessions if your employment was affected by COVID-19 pandemic.


General Skilled Migration
(points-tested visas)

Visas for skilled professionals whose occupation in on the relevant list – Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), Short-term Skilled Occupation List) (STSOL) or Regional Occupation List (ROL).

Visa applicants need to obtain a positive skills assessment from the relevant authority and meet the points test mark of 65 points. The age limit for is 45 years and all applicants must have at least competent English. 

Skilled visas are invitation-based where DHA issues invitations to apply to prospective applicants who submitted their Expression of Interest in the Skillselect system.

Skilled Independent visa SC 189

Your profession must be on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills list and you need to be invited to apply. Invitations are issued by the Skillselect system to the highest ranking candidates subject to occupation ceilings. This means that your Expression of Interest competes with other prospective applicants and the higher your score on the points test is, the better your chance to get an invitation.

Skilled Nominated visa SC 190

For this visa, you need to be nominated by one of the Australian states or territories. Once you receive a state nomination, the invitation from Skillselect will be issued automatically. Your profession can be on both MLTSSL and STSOL, however, each state and territory have their own occupation list and requirements for the nomination. When accepting a state nomination you agree with living in the state/territory for at least 2 years after the visa grant. Positive skills assessment and pass score on the points test is also required.

Regional visas

Temporary visa options allowing you to live and work in the regional area of Australia (outside Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane) for up to 5 years. There is a pathway to a Permanent visa (subclass 191) after living and working in the regional area for at least 3 years. Holders of SC 491/494 visas have also access to Medicare.

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa SC 491

requires nomination by Australian state/territory or sponsorship by your eligible relative. Your occupation can be on the MLTSSL, STSOL or ROL and must also be in demand by the state/territory where you seek the Nomination. You must have a positive skills assessment and a minimum 65 points on the points test. State nomination requirements in some states and regions are more flexible for the 491visa applicants comparing to the 190 visa. 



Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa SC 494


allows Australian businesses operating in regional areas to sponsor overseas workers in occupation on the relevant skilled occupations list. To be eligible for this visa, the applicants must have a positive skills assessment in their nominated occupation, demonstrate at least 3 years of full-time work experience and have competent English (IELTS 6/6/6/6 or equivalent). The process of applying for this visa involves Nomination by employer and Regional Certifying Body advice.



Is your occupation on the relevant skills list?


As there are number of subclasses under the General Skilled Migration program, each one with different requirements, it is important that you explore your options with an experienced migration agent. OnBoard Migration can help you to identify the most suitable pathway and navigate you through the complex requirements of skills assessment authorities and state governments.



Do you have a full-time job offer from an Australian employer? Or are you looking for a position in your profession?


Talk to our Registered Migration agent who can explain to you and your employer all the requirements for TSS visa and assess your individual case. OnBoard Migration can work with you and your sponsor in order to prepare the nomination and visa applications, addressing the migration legislation for the relevant stream and making sure that all the required documents are provided.



Do you hold a 457 or TSS visa and want to know if you are eligible for Permanent Residency? Or do you have an Australian employer willing to nominate you for 186 visa directly?


Talk to our Registered Migration agent to see if you are eligible to apply. OnBoard Migration can help you and your employer to understand all criteria for the Employer Nomination Scheme visa and assist with the application process. We can clarify if the transitional arrangements apply to you, and if you are seeking to apply under the Direct Entry stream we will assist you with the skills assessment process.


Do you want to know more?

We can help you identify the best visa options for you considering your circumstances and intentions.

See you OnBoard!

bottom of page