top of page

Visit Australia

white wave.png

For those planning to visit Australia for holiday or for young people participating in the 12 months working holiday program.

Image by Dan Freeman
Image by Lachlan Dempsey
Image by Simon Rae

Visitor visas

Depending on the country of your nationality and location, there are several visa options if you intend to visit Australia for a holiday or a short business trip.


Visitor visa subclass 600

is a general tourist visa category available for onshore or offshore visa applicants. This visa is usually granted for up to 3, 6 or 12 months and can be for a single visit, or for multiple travels to Australia. You must satisfy the requirement of being a genuine visitor and be able to cover the costs of your trip to Australia. Parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents can be granted a visitor visa with longer duration – up 18 months, 3 years or even 5 years on a case-by-case basis.

All visitor visas come with strict no work condition.


Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) subclass 601


is generally available for applicants from certain countries (USA, Canada, Western Europe, Hong Kong) and needs to be applied for from offshore. The visa is valid for 12 months with 3 months stay at a time.

Note that currently ETA program is closed due to COVID-19 pandemic.


eVisitor visa subclass 651


is for offshore applicants from other selected countries. The visa length and validity are the same as for the ETA. eVisitor visa is free of charge, whilst an ETA has a service fee of $20. The eVisitor visa applications can only be lodged if you are outside Australia.


Working holiday

Working holiday program is for young people under 31 years old (with exception for Ireland, Canada and France – under 36 years) from selected countries to work and travel in Australia for up to 3 years.


Working holiday visa subclass 417


is currently available for passport holders of the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, UK. Once the visa is granted, it allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, with a condition limiting you to maximum 6 months of work for one employer.

It is possible to apply for the second year working holiday visa if you complete at least 3 months of specified work (farm work, mining or construction work) in regional Australia; and for the third year visa after 6 months of specified work completed on the second visa.

You must be offshore to apply for the first 417 visa, however, you can be in or out of Australia to make the second/third year visa application.


Work and holiday visa subclass 462

has more requirements than 417 visa, depending on the country of nationality. This visa is available for the following countries: Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay, Vietnam. 

Applicants for this visa must hold or completed at least 2 years of tertiary qualification (for most countries besides USA and Thailand) and also demonstrate that they have at least functional English. The application must be accompanied by a letter of support from the foreign government.

To apply for the second-year work and holiday visa, first-year visa holders must undertake at least 3 months of specified work (including tourism and hospitality work) in Northern Australia (Northern Territory, northern QLD or northern WA), or "farm work" in regional Australia. For third-year visa, the applicants must demonstrate 6 months of specified work during the second year visa.

Same as with the working holiday visa, the application for the first-year visa must be submitted out of Australia, while for the second/third year visa you can be in or out of the country to apply.



Do you or your family members plan to visit Australia?

Talk to our registered migration agent about your planned trip and visa requirements. OnBoard Migration can assist you in identifying the most appropriate visitor visa option and help with the application process.


Do you hold a passport of one of the working holiday/work and holiday specified countries and are you between 18 and 30 years old?


OnBoard Migration can explain to you the criteria, required documentation and help you with your visa application process. Talk to our experienced registered migration agent to confirm your eligibility and understand conditions of your working holiday visa.


Do you want to know more?

We can help you identify the best visa options for you considering your circumstances and intentions.

See you OnBoard!

bottom of page